Tuesday, April 07, 2009


Two new flutes to share with you...shortly I'll put up a sound sample, but it's just pics for now. First up is my new Low E with the Verdi A432 tuning. The body is Papua New Guinea Walnut and the block is Sapele, though it's mostly the whiter sapwood (see second flute for Sapele heartwood). I wanted a block with a "V" in it to stand for Verdi and as I took the wood and began shaping it, it came out like a geometric ram/goat:

(click on pics to enlarge)





A couple of years ago I purchased a board of Cocobolo that had some of the most stunning patterns I've ever seen in that wood...and it did not disappoint as I rounded it all down. Cocobolo is an oily wood but sands/polishes to this glass-like surface. Many finishes don't adhere well to the wood, and this is simply hand-sanded to 1,200-grit and a coat of Danish wood oil applied. It has a gorgeous natural lustre just as it is. The Praying Eagle fetish is from Sapele (heartwood) and helps bring out the oranges in the flute.






Carpe Diem, y'all!!!

No comments: