Wednesday, April 08, 2009

This new flute is in my flat-bottomed family of flutes I call Half-Pipes. They're simply a more affordable alternative to the traditional round-bore flutes. This one is a mid F#, which is about as low as I can make these due to physics and equipment limitations. The wood is unknown (gifted to me), though I suspect it's one of the more dense varieties of Mahogany (and Poplar on the bottom)...this one has some heft to it. Normally I don't adorn these flutes as it adds to the price a little, but I had this crazy idea to relief-burn a giant Kokopelli since I had good wall thickness in the flute. The block is a firetail made from Zebrawood...I like the wood for blocks and endcaps, but I've never felt the urge to buy it to make flute bodies, for some reason. Maybe one day I'll change my mind. As always, click on pics to enlarge:





No comments: