Monday, February 02, 2009

Cinnamon Burl...

I have to admit something. If you talk to me about my flutes, I remain ADAMANT that the overriding mainstay has to be the quality of voice and tuning. Hands down. However, as much as I want to stand on that soap box ad nauseum, there are many who put a premium on 'looks' over accuracy.

I can appreciate that. When you drop good, hard-earned money, you'd like for it to have some aesthetic appeal. I meet all types of flute followers....some want simple and unadorned, others love the bells and whistles. To each her or his own.

I am in the midst of a sloooooooow shop transition, and am operating at mid-capacity and 'stretch' at the moment. In my shuffling of my (inside) woodpile, I unearthed some special pieces that I've yet to touch. I'll be showcasing these boards from time to time to give you an idea of what's 'out there'...

People often ask, "Where do you get your wood?" The answer is: no one place. eBay used to be good, but you really have to hunt and peck anymore given a) the cost of postage, and b) the number of competitive bidders looking for the same thing. I have local professional wood shops in which you have to go inspect each board in person, which is time consuming. I can go to independent web sites and buy individual boards, but they tend to be pricey and there is still the gremlin of shipping charges.

Be that as it may, I snoop from time to time...and I know enough to know when I spot a 'deal' I'll watch it like a hawk and swipe it up if the terms are beneficial. Especially in this horrid economy, all these concerns have become more 'heightened', shall we say.

And so I will present pics of pieces I've picked up and not yet used...pieces that will make X amounts of flutes, that are special in texture and figure, but that will necessarily have to carry a significantly weighted 'price' due to initial investment.

I present to you a slab of Cinnamon Burl I picked up a year ago...only minor checks are in it, and when it is sanded and rounded it will make a mind-boggling beautiful flute. This particular board will yield about 3 mid-to-upper range flutes. It needed additional drying time, and by this summer it will be ready to be dissected.

FYI, I put some alcohol on it to darken it so you can see the 'eyes' and figuring in this jaw-dropping wood.

(click on pics to enlarge)

(plain)


(with alcohol rubbed on)


(close-up with alcohol)

Keep in mind the pic is of a flat piece of wood unsanded. When this is rounded and finished to 1200 grit, it will knock your socks off!

No comments: